20071114

Firefox Keyboard Shortcut for CloseOtherTabs

Do you ever find yourself surfing the net with several tabs open and suddenly experiencing an overwhelming urge to un-clutter your browser?

I certainly do. The most frustrating part about it all is that one is forced to select some tab, right-click, and then select 'Close Other Tabs'.

The Default keyboard shortcuts in the en-US version of Firefox are somewhat backward in my opinion. Practically every window manager has its own 'Close Window' shortcut key. In Windows it's Alt+F4, like it is in Gnome.

So why does Firefox need to duplicate a function that the window manager most certainly has? Firefox has its own built-in 'Close Window' shortcut which is 'Ctrl+Shift+w'. This key combination would be much better suited for 'Close Other Tabs'.

I hope that they at least make a Preferences section in Firefox 3.0 so that people can customize the shortcut keys.

4 comments:

Tres Finocchiaro said...

I would like this functionality also!

"Close Other Tabs" should be a feature enhancement.

If someone knows a shortcut or a plugin, please drop me a message. :)

-Tres

Unknown said...

It would also be nice to have a "Move Tab Left/Right" shortcut key.

For example, with Gnome-Terminal, using Ctrl+Shift+PgUp will shift left and Ctrl+Shift+PgDn will shift right.

It's really features like these that attract users to any applications and I'm surprised that it's not already in FireFox.

Tres Finocchiaro said...

Chris, are you referring to "Ctrl + Tab" ?

-Tres

Unknown said...

That's good for cycling through tabs, but I was talking about actually moving the tabs. Say if I had the 3rd tab from the left open, and I wanted to move it to position 1, then I should be able to use some key combination, such as Ctrl+Shift+PgUp to move it to the left 1 position.